Self Care


What is it

Before I went to treatment, I never really practiced self care. It wasn't so much something that I hated doing, it just wasn't something I considered. When it was introduced to me in therapy, I had the hardest time putting it into practice. It was so foreign and felt strange. Do nice things for myself? Treat myself with care? What did that even mean? I am now much better at self care and usually like to make sure I get it everyday. But what is it?

These are just a few things that equal my own self care:

  • Watching one of my favorite tv shows, Impractical Jokers
  • Getting some reading in (especially the Bible)
  • Taking bubble baths while listening to classical music
  • Napping when needed
  • Watching some of my favorite Youtubers
  • Coloring
  • Yoga
These are my go to self care expressions because I feel so at ease and calm and peaceful while doing these things. And that's what self care is about. Doing something that gives you peace and rest, something that doesn't harm your body, mind, or spirit. It is meant to be used instead of a lot of the self harming behaviors those with (and even without) mental illnesses can act upon. Instead of cutting or burning yourself, try soothing and nourishing your skin with a bath or relaxing shower. Instead of overworking yourself, get a nap in. Feeling awkward and uncomfortable in your body, try some yoga stretches and really appreciate the physical capabilities your body is able to perform. Struggling with doubts and anxiety, try meditating on some faith filled scriptures! Some of my favorites include, John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my own peace do I now give to you. I do not give  to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.", and Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard you hearts and your minds as you live in Christ Jesus."

There is more to self care than just the feel good stuff. There are responsible things such as being sure to take one's meds even if we feel "better". There is practicing good hygiene and taking care of our bodies and physical health, sometimes through exercise (when appropriate). Even exercising our boundaries (saying yes when we mean yes and no when we mean no) and not allowing others to drain us of all of our energy and capabilities is using self care. It is doing what is good and right for ourselves, and it is not selfish or self centered to do so. The Bible tells us not to think of ourselves more highly than we ought. It doesn't say not to think highly of ourselves at all. Taking care of yourself is more than okay. It's necessary. If today was a hard day, try one of these self care methods or make your own. Maybe you messed up and surrendered to self harmful behavior. Just do the next right thing. Don't reward yourself with hurt, reward yourself with care. We all mess up but we all still need care.

Scripture references:
Romans 12:3

Comments

  1. Yes, I can identify! Taking time out for myself is crucial! I need to do it more often! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy when we're used to caring for others but it is very necessary. Thank you for your words!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

My Best Friend

Recovery is Hard