Praise Helps


What's good

I was talking to my "house mom" tonight and she let me know she had been concerned about me lately. She noticed my demeanor and how it's been down recently and offered great advice. She told me to "take off the garment of heaviness for the garment of praise". But how does one do that? Spending time in the Lord's presence definitely helps and the Word of God tells us that He inhabits the praises of His people. In addition to resting in the Lord, she suggested I make a list of some things that He has already done for me. It's a practice of mine to remind myself of God's previous goodness in my life during times when I may be struggling and even though I'm not really struggling to believe in God's faithfulness right now, I still think it would be helpful to do. The Bible tells us to think on those things that are good and lovely and true and just. What equals that more than the demonstrations of God's goodness in our lives?

Maybe you don't believe in Jesus as God and so you're ignorant to (read: unaware of) His goodness towards you or you ascribe the blessings and gifts He's given you to something you've done entirely on your own or that of another. I'm not here to argue that-- not now anyway lol. What I am here to do is encourage you to take some time tonight and/or tomorrow to make a list of your own of the blessings and good things that are going on in your life, whether you believe they're from God or not. For me, reminding myself of how God has provided for and blessed me is always helpful in boosting my resolve to remain steadfast in Him. It's also a great reminder that good things are not strange in my life. You might even use this as a coping mech or weapon against some anxious thoughts. One might say you could use it as a "grounding technique", to bring you out of a place of despair and hopelessness.

Please don't mistake this suggestion as a cure for any depression or anxiety you may be battling, rather, use it in conjunction with any treatment you may be receiving or use it while you're in the process of starting treatment. It's hard to focus solely on one thing while we're thinking of something else, and at least while we're focusing on what's good, we can't be so consumed with what isn't. It just may put a pep in our step, knowing that goodness has happened to us before and it can happen again.

What's Good

  • Living financially stable in the state of my dreams after feeling like it would never happen for me
  • Driving my own car debt free
  • Having a mom and sister who care for and love me dearly
  • Having the support of my mother since the beginning of my wellness journey
  • Receiving a very specific answer to my very specific prayer the day after I prayed last November
  • Working at a job I love and find incredibly rewarding
  • Living in house with wonderfully caring, loving, and Godly people
  • Having amazing friends who believe in my fight and encourage me in it
If you're struggling to come up with blessings/good happenings, bring a close friend in on this and ask for their assistance. Sometimes it helps to get an outsider's perspective of our lives (in this case specifically) when to us, the cloud of darkness and sadness overwhelm the sunny days we've had. If you are still struggling to find any good things in your life and are dealing with thoughts of suicide or self harm, please reach out to someone you trust and/or call the national suicide hotline 1800) 273/8255. If you are an immediate danger to yourself, call 911. Please know that your life is not too "messed up" or broken to be restored. Goodness can happen to you as long as you stay alive. Fight the darkness. You are not alone. Please don't give up, don't let go of the bar.

Scripture references:
Isaiah 61:3
Psalm 22:3
Philippians 4:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

My Best Friend

Recovery is Hard